Keeping a doctor’s visits in the 50s is extremely difficult and if you want to know the secret of how to keep it at bay then you have to sneak peek in your kitchen. With time and age men develop their chances of getting health problems such as high blood pressure, various heart diseases, high cholesterol, diabetes and even the risk of cancer increase. Although these conditions are inevitable, certain changes in lifestyle habits and foods can do wonders on the content of your nutrition and health. How you eat, what you eat and how much you eat can make a huge difference in your health.
So, if you are about to jump in your 50s or above, best dietitian in north Delhi has brought you some fitness tips that will not only help you in maintaining the healthy body but also keep you away from various diseases. We’ve got simple and easy to follow tips for you that won’t even take much pain to add in the lifestyle.
- Eat Healthy Fats: It is a fact that fats are bad for your health and excessive consumption can also increase the risk of various heart diseases. But there is something like good fats which are extremely important for your health and arteries and heart health. Not enough consumption of these fats can sometimes harm your concentration and memory and also results in the lack of working of the brain. There is various food staple of healthy fats that include fatty fish, walnuts, flaxseed and nuts. So, rather than depending on the bad sources of carbs like red meat, butter, and other processed food items add more foods that give good fats and fibre. These healthy fats have extra benefits for your heart and body and keep diseases like high cholesterol and diabetes at bay.
- Grease your joints: Old age comes with the joint pain. People when comes to their 50s start giving up on fats and exercises in order to get healthy and stay away from pains. But in reality, healthy carbs, proteins, brisk exercises and morning run is all necessary for the healthy and fit body. People used to think that running would weaken their knees but various researches suggest that greasing body with omega 3s and running afterwards will help in strengthening the knees. Adding foods like almonds, fishes and soybean oil will lubricate your joints and give proper nutrition to your body.
- Cut Sodium: Oldies can take you towards the path of high blood pressure. High blood pressure is normal in the old age and one such reason for this excessive consumption of sodium. Since sodium can take your sodium levels up, try to cut down on salt in your diet. Avoid processed foods like processed and packaged foods are rich in carbs and sodium which can make you suffer from various problems and diseases. Various packaged foods like bread, rolls, cookies and chips have a lot of salt and unwanted oil that can bring obesity and high cholesterol with its consumption. Here is one natural remedy- eat a banana every day, it has high potassium levels that help in lessening the effect of sodium in your diet.
- Make smarter food choices: As you get older, the process of your metabolism slows down and you have to be smart while choosing the food you eat and the calories you take. Always take care of the food and its calories. Choosing home-made foods that are packed with a different type of nutrients is a great choice. You can incorporate dark leafy greens, a different type of colourful fruits and veggies, low-fat dairy and nuts in your diet. It will give you proper Vitamins and Minerals that are necessary for the smooth functioning of your body.
- Dietary fibre is a must: Fiber helps in maintaining your bowel functions and boosts your digestive health by encouraging good bacteria. Dietary fibre helps in relieving constipation and makes you feel fuller for a longer period of time. Proper intake of dietary fibre helps in decreasing the risk of type 2 diabetes and heart disease. 30 grams of dietary fibre are required by men older than 50. You can add whole grains, fruits, vegetables, beans and lentils to your diet. Aim to eat different variety of fruits and vegetables throughout the day.
- Make Calories Count: Age should not come in between eating. Every man should eat in the way they did in their 20s. Maintaining a healthy weight is extremely important in the 50s. With an increase in the age of men, activeness and muscle gain goes away and they typically become passive and fat. So, it is important to be active in physical activities and count every calorie you take.
As per the best nutritionist in Delhi, the daily calorie intake for men over the age of 50 are as follows:
- If not active then 2000 calories.
- If moderately active then from 2200 to 2400 calories.
- If regularly active then from 2400 to 2800 calories.